Wednesday, October 1, 2014

October 1st

I think most of the end of the book "Drawing Heat," made me incredibly sad. It made me think about time and loneliness. The Wild Man was so caught up into his career that he missed out on so many other things in his life. Was it really worth it? I think this made me think about my future a lot as well. I'm not sure what career I would like to pursue one day (if you have any ideas, don't be shy to share them with me) but I've always imagined myself being a very career driven adult who didn't spend a lot of time with family or doing other things. I honestly thought/think that I want my life to be centered around my career. However, reading this made me think so much harder about what I would be missing.  The Wild Man wasn't able to get to his family when there was something important and spent most of his time by himself, traveling for his career. It reminded me an awful lot of the Hallmark Christmas Specials. One of my favorite things to do during the Christmas season, is to sit around and watch these types of movies. Most of the plots consists of an overly career-minded person realizing that their career isn't the most important thing in life...love and family is. I can't help but to picture Wild Man's life being an odd type of Christmas Special featured on Hallmark channel.

2 comments:

Sam Ford said...

It's interesting with Dave...He lives in the same region as his family. It seems he definitely cares for them, and one presumes at certain time periods saw them for long periods at home and even had some of them working with him on the road. But it also seems the circumstances of the life he has chosen has also caused no shortage of problems. The bear incident. The general life on the road. The feast and famine. Etc. It sounds like his son was on the road with him often, when he had custody, even though he lost custody to the person with the police record...because they were unsure if the Wildman was a fit parent...

Katie Clark said...

It's definitely something to think about. You have to be truly, passionately in love with wrestling to make it big. It involved a lot of sacrifice. Both physical and emotional. You certainly have to wonder how many wrestlers at the end of their career would say it was all worth it.